You guys, I'm just going to say it: We have the best summers in the world.
Photo: Rachel Sarai
I know, I know, California is sunny in February, blah blah blah, but hey, in western Washington, the months July to September really can't be beat.
It's hot and dry, but everything is still green and lush. You can't throw a rock without hitting a lake or a river, and while no one has air conditioning, even the midday heat is manageable.
Photo: Benjamin Thomas
So embrace that flip-flop tan, grab a picnic blanket, and read on. Here's how to make the best of your summer in Arlington, Washington.
1. Visit your farmers market every weekend! (You guys aren't surprised this tops MY list, are you?) This heat is bringing out the flavor in tomatoes, peppers and berries! Your farmers are swimming in a harvest--why shop anywhere else?? Legion Park, Saturdays, 10 to 3, be there!
3. Float the river. Contemplate the beauty of the Stilliguamish River while you cool off. Please think SAFETY, the river is awesome and powerful. Life jackets save lives.
4. Library fun for kids and teens! From robotics to dinosaurs to watercolor classes, the Arlington branch of the Sno-Isle Library has something cool for babies, school age kids, and teens. Library schedule here.
5. Bike Centennial Trail. Bonus: throughout the city, you'll pass through the Arlington Art Council's installations of local art.
6. U-pick some berries! And then make them into jam. Or scarf them all down on the car ride home. Choose a Red Rooster Route Farm or search for Arlington farms at Puget Sound Fresh--they have an app, too!
7. Shop for treasures in historic downtown. Find unique gifts at Arlington Pharmacy, upcycled furniture at Bella Bungalow, and vintage goodies at Sadie Lane. Stroll Olympic and see what you can find!
8. Festival of the River & Pow Wow is coming up on August 9 & 10! The Stilliguamish Tribe's annual festival celebrates native culture and natural resources. This year entrance and parking are FREE! Find out all about it here.